iPhones have long been the gold standard of cell phone photography; they’re known for having superior technology compared to most other phones. They’re even catching up to traditional cameras. All you need now is a little boost from some good lenses.
There is no need to lug around a heavy DSLR, tripod, and lens bag everywhere you go, or to transfer pictures between devices to process and publish them. Many cell phones available today can take beautiful pictures that would even compare to a high-end DSLR.
How to Choose Lenses for Your iPhone
Investing in a lens-set for your iPhone is a no-brainer once you decide to switch over to cell phone photography for good. But we know there are a ridiculous number of optionsavailable for cell phone lenses. How do you pick the one that’s best for your specific needs?
No sweat! We’ve got you covered there.
We bring you the best options in iPhone camera lenses to suit your needs whether it is balancing that shoe string budget or making your first indie feature film – here is everything you need to know before buying a lens for your iPhone.
Types of Lenses for iPhone Photography
You can pick from a range of iPhone lenses including Telephoto, Wide-angle, Macro and Fish-eye. Just as in a DSLR, each type is suitable to a specific purpose.
- A Telephoto lens enhances the magnification on the iPhone camera even at a distance. They are great general-purpose lenses too.
- The Wide-Angle iPhone lens includes a wider angle of view making it ideal for capturing landscapes, large buildings or group photos and, on occasion, your Four-Foot-Long Chicago Style Hot Dog.
- Macro lenses for iPhones are useful for capturing fine or minute details and producing enlarged images of minute subjects such as small insects, details on plants, or even something as small as a snowflake.
- The Fish-eye lens is a specialized lens producing an exaggerated hemispherical effect on the image. With one attached to your iPhone you can get circular-ish images of landscapes, architecture, or use it for the purpose it was actually invented for – photographing the sky, or “astrophotography” as the nerds call it.
What to Look for in an iPhone Lens
If you are looking to buy a lens or an iPhone accessory, you don’t want to end up with a great product that is unfortunately incompatible with your phone. Your first consideration should be to make sure all the gear is compatible with your iPhone model.
When choosing between mounts, remember that while clip mounts can save you precious time on changing lenses they may shift while handling. A case mount on the other hand may be cumbersome to attach but is both steadier and always positioned correctly
You should also compare lenses based on quality, weight, and cost. Rarely do phone lenses weigh much, but quality definitely scales with cost – keep that in mind!
The Best Lenses for Your iPhone
While there is a range of available lenses to enhance your iPhone camera photography, we have narrowed the choice down to 5 single lenses and 5 specialized kits, to give you the best option for each concern, price point, quality and application:
Best Quality Wide Angle Lens for iPhone
[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B07DYTWW54″ locale=”US” src=”https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41z3l9+2hML.jpg” tag=”photoswithphones-20″ width=”500″]
MOMENT WIDE ANGLE LENS
- The Moment wide angle lens packs in a punch with a 2x wider angle of view of the iPhone X’s camera and has the sharpest wide angle images with no noticeable distortion compared to its competitors.
- An as an added advantage like all Moment lenses it works with many different devices – the iPhone 6, 7, 8, as well as iPhone X, the Google Pixel 2 series and the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S9 devices
- Those looking for great quality videos love that it allows for adding context to video without significant cropping.
- The lens offers value for money with its 18mm design, featuring 0.63x magnification and is an all rounder for capturing landscapes, architecture, large group photos.
- It is already an industry favorite even though it is priced in the $90 to $120 and needs a dedicated M series photo case which costs an additional $30 more.
Best Quality Telephoto iPhone Lens
- While they are bulky attachments to your iPhone, they will give you the sharpest images in the telephoto category and the ease of use will win you over in no time.
- The Shiftcam telephoto lens requires a dedicated case. The lens may neatly be mounted onto a plate that fits quickly onto the case.
- At $79.99 the Shiftcam telephoto lens is a good balance of quality and affordability.
- The Shiftcam case is only designed for use with iPhones and comes at an additional price of $24.99.
Best Quality Fisheye iPhone Lens
- Sandmarc’s dedicated iPhone fisheye lens range outperforms the other lenses in this category with 5x ultra wide field of view than that of the iPhone camera.
- At $89.99 it comes with a phone case and lens mount included and is ideal for outdoor travel photographers and vloggers.
- It may make for slightly blurrier edges on the image than the Moment fish eye, but that is what you have to trade for the incomparable field of view magnification in this category.
Best Quality Macro Lens for iPhone
- The Moment M-series Macro Lens works with iPhone, Pixel, Galaxy and OnePlus Phones. Compatible with the new Iphone11 (cases coming to Amazon soon). This product includes a lens, lens cap, and microfiber bag.
- This product REQUIRES you to purchase a Moment Photo Case OR Battery Photo Case to attach the lens to your phone. Mounts over either lens on dual lens phones enabling nearly limitless creativity.
- The Moment M-series Macro lens captures life sized images of the smallest objects at the highest quality. It’s removable light diffuser enables images without shadows while providing the perfect one-inch working distance. Its multi-element glass design provides edge to edge clarity.
- Moment makes the highest quality attachment lenses on the market. Made with aerospace grade metal and the same hand-polished glass used for high-end 4K film lenses.
- We backup our products with a lifetime warranty, great customer service and a 100% satisfaction guarantee with free shipping and returns. Ask us how to get set up with a Moment gear guide.
Moment Macro Lens
- In this category at the Olloclip Connect X macro offers the most magnification, but significant light leaks and blurring on the edges of the images might make you want to skip this variant.
- The Moment Macro Lens which is priced at a steep $99.99 is a better choice for a uniformly sharper image.
- The sharpness, ease of use and wide compatibility makes Moment’s macro lens the go-to macro lens for use with iPhones at a staggering 10X magnification.
- Like all Moment lenses this only works with its own mounting plate but it helps that it also comes with a light diffuser which doubles up as a space indicator too, which helps by signalling when you are too close or too far from the subject.
Best Budget Lens for iPhone
- Ora 2-in-1 Lens Set includes a 120° Wide Angle Lens + a 15x Macro Lens - Ideal for a variety of photography scenarios.
- Macro Lens gets you 15x closer to your subject for extremely detailed close-ups textures and objects (Position lens 0.4" - 1" from the subject to get clearer pictures). For better performance and fit, try removing any phone case
- Wide Angle Lens opens up your field of view for breathtaking landscape photos or wide format selfies, (Includes the combination of two lenses: screw the wide-angle attachment to the macro lens to get super-clear 120° wide angle lens view). Compatible with 52mm lens filter. Good for shots of the sky and bodies of water
- Each lens is crafted with aluminum alloy and multi-element coated glass to minimize reflections and lens glare. Detachable soft rubber clip is easy to adjust and won’t leave any scratches or marks on your devices
- Package contents: AUKEY PL-WD06 Ora 2-in-1 Lens Set, Lens Clip, Carrying Pouch, Cleaning Cloth, 45-Day Money Back Guarantee and 24-Month Product Replacement Warranty Card
AUKEY ORA iPHONE CAMERA LENS SET
- If you are looking for a budget-buy, the the Aukey Ora iPhone lens kit includes a 120° Wide Angle lens + a 15x Macro lens.
- It is a two lens set but may be used for a variety of shots.
- Selling for a reduced price at the moment – from $79.99 to $29.99 online, it is quite the steal for beginners with iPhone lenses, who are not looking to invest.
- The lens cap and carrying case are useful accessories too.
Best 360 Degree iPhone Lens
- PanoClip Snap-On 360° Lens (iPhone X & XS)
- Tiny Planet. Straight from your phone. Tiny Planet mode gets the whole world in frame.
- Spin View turns your best 360° photos into dynamic video clips that show off every angle.
- One-touch sharing on Instagram, Facebook, iMessage, Snapchat … or anywhere else.
- Stylish and subtle, goofy and fun. Get the perfect look with 30 unique filters and a range of customizable stickers.
Do you want to take one of those pictures with the tiny planet effect ? The PANOCLIP 360° lens is your best bet. The best part is that it looks like a cute little robot that sits on your phone 🙂
- A relatively less expensive option at $49.99.
- You can fit it over your cell phone camera and it captures a 360° image by combining the images from the device’s front and rear end camera.
- The images from both the cameras are stitched in real time by the Panoclip app.
- It comes with a companion app that also lets you share the photos to mot social media sites including Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook and well – you name it !
Best Multi-Use Lens for iPhone
OLLOCLIP 4-IN-1 LENS SET
- At $79.99 this is only compatible with the iPhone and iPod touch, but it is easy to attach and considering that it packs all four types of lenses in one single contraption ?? whoa ! it is definitely well worth the price.
- The image output is the standard Olloclip quality that doesn’t disappoint.
- The option to attach an-all-in-one lens kit and to easily alternate between the Macro 10x, Macro 15x, fisheye and telephoto features without hassle is by itself a great incentive for those not looking to scurry to change lenses between shots of each kind.
- Be sure to buy the lens set that is compatible with your generation of iPhone!
Best Lens for Videos on iPhone
This set is ideal for those who want their iPhone to serve as a killer device for video footage.
- With 5 lens options including Macro, Telephoto 2x pro, fisheye, Super wide and Ultra Wide, the $240 price tag is a great bargain for cell phone movie makers, live streamers and travel vloggers.
- It turns you from a still photographer to a well-equipped DOP, so what more could you ask for?
Lenses that Make Your iPhone Look Like a DSLR
- This is the ultimate lens kit that practically converts your iPhone into a DSLR
- All of the lenses separately are almost $400, but this set is available for just $300.
- Consider that it packs in all of the power of a professional camera, for the price of a low-end DSLR. The advantage is that it’s all on a single device – the phone you’re already carrying with you everywhere.
Best Portable Lens Kit for iPhone
- CAPTURE PICTURES / VIDEO WIRELESSLY Perfect wireless solution for taking selfies or recording vlogs without holding your phone / tablet in your hand. Ideal for posting on Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- LANYARD + WRIST STRAP The neck strap features a detachable ring mount that can be released by pressing a button. The adjustable wrist strap allows a safe and comfortable fit. It will prevent you from dropping the wireless remote control.
- 30 FT (10 M) WIRELESS RANGE Control the camera shutter of your phone or tablet wirelessly from a distance of up to 30 feet (10 meters).
- FOR IPHONE AND ANDROID This wireless remote control camera shutter will work perfectly with your iOS (6.0 and up) or Android (4.2.2 and up) phone / tablet.
- BLUETOOTH CERTIFIED The CamKix Remote Control Camera Shutter uses Certified Bluetooth Wireless Technology for maximum reliability and fast operation.
CAMKIX CAMERA LENS KIT
This kit also comes with a bonus tool: a blue-tooth remote to control the shutter.
- It offers you five lenses rather than the usual four lenses – the additional CPL lens helps filter out harsh light so you can shoot during the day and filter out glares.
- Quite a treat for the low price, if you ask us, but only compatible with the older versions of the iPhone. There are similar kits for updated models if you look around.
Last update on 2019-11-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API